Thursday 23 April 2009

Portobello Market and Imperial China Dim Sum

Collection from all over the world and centuries
Last week, one of my long lost senior Yin Ling and her friend, Hui Xing (I hope I didn’t misspell your name) stayed over at my place due to The Exhibition of BODY WORLDS & The Mirror of Time held in The O2, London (SE10 0B) – for more information, please visit

http://www.visitlondon.com/bodyworlds/

They stayed only for 3 days and 2 nights. Before we parted on Saturday, we went to one of the most popular market in London - Portobello Market in the morning. That market was surprisingly LONG and it seem to be endless.


MAKAN Restaurant
Entrance to Portobello MarketThis is how the Market looked like on that day. It is just the entrance in to the market and by observation you can predict how busy this street will be. It is approximately 2 miles and the market takes up the whole Portobello Road. According to internet source, this road was made famous by the film Notting Hill (1999). I found most of the interesting and attractive antiques such as old maps, ancient cameras used in the 40’s and also collections from all over the world. It was fascinating. Cutting all the length story and finally towards the end of the road you can find a Malaysian Restaurant called MAKAN. The three of us went in there and grabbed some Malaysia Kuih. It makes me feel like I am at home again.


It was about 1130 and we decided to get going to China Town and meet Hui Xing’s Friends in Imperial China Restaurant. It was my first time eating proper Dim Sum in London or to be exact in the UK. We are considered to be the bunch of crazy people – Order Dim Sum without considering the size of our tummy. But we manage to finish all of them :D Well Done!!

This total cost is as shown in the picture equivalent to GBP 135.10 x 5.2 = RM 702.52 divided with 9 person so each of us paid GBP15. Quite expensive for a Malaysian like me cause I could get my whole week of groceries with that amount of money BUT I can’t buy the happiness of having such great Dim Sum and spending time with friends. So using deductive logic, it was worthy. I will treat myself one great meal again before I go back to Malaysia:) Or on second thought, I will keep the money to spend on the unbeatable Malaysia Food :P

imperial china - dimsum billThe Cute  Egg TartThe Dim Sum