Thursday 18 December 2008

Railway Project in Portmadog

Eversince I was a child, my main or only hobbies was to play sports. Nothing else but sports, starting from football to volleyball to basketball to badminton. It was such a waste that I did not join other activities other than sports. As students I should try to get involve with various type of activities. During the interview with Kelly Service for a job, I was regarded as a extremely active in sports by the interviewer and it didn't sounded as good. Having to come to the UK, I found volunteering quite interesting and it could be an extra point in the job interview in the future (I hope).

In less than two months studying in the UK, I had volunteer for a railway project in Portmadog, Wales. Portmadog is located in the north of Wales. The railway that we, the volunteers were working on called the FFestiniog Railway. The main task for the volunteers at that time were changing the "fish plate" (plates connecting the 2 track line together) of the rail track. It was unfortunate that we did not have the oppurtunity to do the track laying as it was the main task we were looking forward to. Giving my service to the community, I managed to experience the beauty of Wales and experience the quite environment compared to London. It is an ideal place for retirement. That was what I suggested to myself:D


Working under cold condition, though the weather on that day wasn't as bad

Time to leave the project to the other volunteers to continue with it. Hope there will be few more trips here. Really miss it.


Some beautiful scenery from the Portmadog


First time sleeping on the rail track. It was pretty comfortable sleeping on it.

Thanks to Imperial Volunteering Centre, I manage to get into this project. I am now looking forward to join the volunteering project in Liverpool where the main task is to build houses.

No comments: