Monday 27 June 2011

Teaching Experience

For the past 3 weeks, I had been doing my placement as a student ambassador in a Secondary School. The experience I obtained through the period was very rewarding. It opened my eyes how different the education system in the UK as compared to my home country, Malaysia. Students have more freedom and the education are more diverse with a little bit of everything. In GCSE for example, students are given the opportunity to learn one foreign language; French, German, Spanish and etc. Unlike the UK, students in Malaysia focussed very much on Science and Mathematics. 

I've also managed to taste some of the difficulties faced by teachers in shaping the students into a better future. Like any other countries, students tend to be influenced by the media. There was once I asked a student about what he want to be in the future. Typical answers given: footballer. For the ladies, they love singing and acting.

One of the question that I received from the teachers in the school was, "So, what do you think of teaching as a profession in your future?". Oh well, it depends, I would say it is a good and noble job and your have both hard work and free time. As a teacher, I think the hardest part is to plan a lessons that could cater to the students. Different teachers will have different teaching styles and approaches but has the same objective which is to cover every learning elements for that particular year group set by the national curriculum. All for the sake of preparing the students for that one exam. Overall, I think teaching is interesting and rewarding to a certain extent, but I would really want to get myself involved in a profession I dreamed of in engineering and consulting services. 

No comments: